Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chutney cooking

I am officially obsessed
with Chutney making...


I have about 6 jars  made
and will be looking for some more recipes soon...

The two on either side are Kasundi
a Indian style tomato chutney...
That is so yummy I have already opened 
one of the jars and am half way through already...
I would have to say I made this a bit milder than what it should have been
but I prefer mild not hot...

The one in the middle is an Apple chutney but I did find this a bit peppery 
and will be changing that recipe
next batch...

I have also made a Peach Chutney that is a little spicier
for my husband
and that tastes like a good chutney...


For the Kasundi I used the recipe HERE...
But did change a few things...

So I will write it out for you
if you like...

250ml olive oil
2 tablespoons turmeric
2 tablespoons ground mustard
2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garam Marsala

Heat the oil and place the above ingredients in a large pot
and gently heat...
Be careful it doesn't burn...
You just want to bring the flavours out...

In a separate bowl place
2 tablespoons of crushed garlic
2 tablespoons crushed ginger
1 tablespoon crushed chilli ( more if you like it hotter)
*I used the pre-made supermarket variety of these in jars...*

mix in 50ml of malt vinegar...
Stir well and add to pot...

Heat this all through for a few more minutes...be careful not to burn it...
and don't stick your nose in for a good smell
as it is could have you in a coughing fit...

Add to the pot
2 kg of  Cherry Tomatoes quartered
1 teaspoon of salt
125 grams of brown sugar
and 170 ml of malt vinegar

Bring to the boil
and the turn down a bit
and cook for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours...

Heat washed jars in oven on low heat..
Using an oven mitt pick up jars and place hot chutney into jars
until overflowing...
be very careful not to burn yourself...
Place lid on jar...
Wipe  outside of jar and let stand until cool to touch...

You will find that the jars with the metal lids the best to use...
The ones with the lid that has the "pop up" circle in the middle...
You will notice that the cooler the jar gets the button in the middle of the jar will depress
and vacuum seal the chutney inside...

Now that's it...

Oh! almost forgot...
It goes really well on crusty bread...
Yum!!!

Kasundi chutney...

12 comments:

Tania said...

We are Kasundi-obsessed in these parts. In fact, I reckon the Mr considers it his hunter-gatherer, provide-for-his-family duty to craft endless supplies of the stuff. Yours looks delish.

knitgirl66 said...

Lots of relish, jam and suace making happening here due to lots of yummy tomatoes and plums. I thought my jars looked pretty with colourful labels, but your's are granny beautiful!

Happy in red said...

Great minds think alike ;-) I have made 4 jars of relish over the weekend!
Esther.

Tanya said...

Me too ! I made onion chutney last week, it is delicious, making marmalade saturday another obsession of mine ...

Unknown said...

Hello!
What a curious chance!
Myself, I just try to create some chutneys!
first: Green mango - onions - shallots - grape - star anise
and an other: Beetroot - cumin - onions - garlic
Delicious!

annie said...

Thank you! I have been after a good Kasundi recipe for years. I'll give this one a go- with relish!

Donna said...

I love chutneys! They all look and sound delicious. Hope you have had a great start to your New Year.xx

needlekrafter said...

oh Michelle, it all sounds wonderful. unfortunately don't have any chutney recipes! :)

Elizabeth said...

This sounds fabulous! Thanks for the link to the recipes as well as the changes you made! Can't wait to make a batch!

Lisa-Marie said...

I also love chutney, the chopping and the spices and everything melding together, lovely!

I shall be trying out this recipe soon!!

Deborah Hamilton said...

Those little embroidered jar covers are beautiful!

Earthy Spice said...

I have to say - this is one of our favourite recipes this year! My teens are obsessed with it- I am making it weekly at the moment! I have been roasting tomatoes and then pureeing them with the vinegar and brown sug. Yummo - adds a depth of flavour that is lovely. Thanks for the recipe x