Friday, May 6, 2011

Chunky Granny Scarf Tutorial...

I was thinking...
It has been ages since I did a tutorial...
And with Autumn here and Winter getting closer in the Southern Hemisphere...

It was just the right time for a warm and chunky Granny Scarf...
So here it is!!!

Oh... almost forgot...Written in English terms
with american term in brackets...

Chunky Granny Scarf

Get your extra large Crochet Hook out (Size 7)
and some very chunky wool (20 ply)
and we shall start...

Chunky Granny Scarf

Chain 165...
1 tr(dc) in 6 th ch from hook...


* Miss one ch.
1 tr(dc) in next ch...
1 ch...*


Repeat * - * to last tr(dc)...
1 tr(dc) in last tr(dc) at end.


4 ch...
Turn work over to wrong side.


* 1 tr(dc) in next tr(dc), 1 ch...*

Repeat * - * to last tr(dc)...
1 tr(dc) in last tr(dc)


4 ch...Turn work to right side...


3 tr(dc) in next tr(dc)...

*  1 ch, Miss next tr(dc)...
3 tr(dc) in next tr(dc)...*

Repeat * - *  till one tr(dc) remaining.
1 ch, 1 tr(dc) in last tr(dc)...

4 ch...


turn work over to wrong side...


The next part may be tricky for beginners so there are a few pictures...

* In top of next tr(dc) Start 1 tr(dc) but only until you have 2 loops on your hook left.


leave these 2 loops on your hook.
and work another tr(dc) in next tr (dc) until you have 3 loops left on hook...


leave these 3 loops on your hook.
and work another tr(dc) in next tr (dc) until you have 4 loops left on hook...


Yarn over hook and pull through all 4 loops.
3 ch...Miss 1 ch space *...  


Repeat  from * - *
to last tr(dc) group at end. Omitting the last 3 chs...


1 ch, 1 tr(dc) in last tr(dc)...


4 ch...turn work over to right side...


1 tr(dc) in top of tr(dc)group, 1 ch, 
1 tr(dc) in middle ch of 3 ch group from previous round...


* 1 ch, 1 tr(dc) in top of tr(dc) group, 1 ch, 
1 tr(dc) in middle ch of 3 ch group from previous round...*
Repeat * - * to last tr(dc) group.
1 tr(dc) in top of last tr(dc) group,
1 ch, 1 tr(dc) in last tr...


 4 ch...Turn work over to wrong side...


* 1 tr(dc) in next tr(dc), 1 ch *
Repeat * - * to last tr(dc).
1 tr(dc) in last tr(dc).

Fasten off and sew and trim in end...


Add some Granny Goodness...and your all rugged up for winter...

Chunky Flower

My next tutorial will be for the Chunky Granny Flower...
So stay turned...

38 comments:

Jane said...

Lovely scarf! It's spring here, so I'll have to keep it on the back burner for a few months... it's all summer cottons here for a while :) Thanks for posting the pattern!
Jane

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lovestitch said...

Fantastic! The scarf looks very beautiful! Thanks for your tutorial, it's awesome!

Susana said...

Es muy bonita la bufanda.
Me encanta el color verde y la flor naranja.
Susana.

Happy in red said...

Oh, this is nice!! And with softer and thinner yarn this would make a good summer scarf!
Esther.

Coco Rose Diaries said...

Fab scarf! Thanks for the tutorial...will definitely be giving that a go. Spring here, so will be making one up ready for the Autum in a few months!

Have a super day!

Vanessa x

cristina said...

bellissima e facilissima
la farò senz'altro
ciaooo
CRISTINA

Pingkan Anita D. said...

Beautiful scarf. I must make one. Thanks for sharing. I love your all lovely work.

Mereknits said...

Michelle, this is so cute, thanks for posting the pattern. It looks like a quick fun scarf to make.
Happy Frida.
Meredith

Floortje said...

What a lovely tutorial again. Since I'm on the opposite side of the globe from you, I might use it for a delicate summer scarf with really thin cotton.... Love it anyhow!
And the cute cottage from your last post too! I'd like to make a whole village of those... Enjoy your weekend, X Floortje

Anonymous said...

I'm in Australia so this tutorial is perfect timing for me. I have been thinking about getting a scarf going without really knowing where to start. Thank-you for explaining everything so clearly, and for sharing your crafty goodness with us all! :)

Casey said...

pretty scarf! I love the colors you used!

chinamommy said...

I LOVE this scarf! I'm also headed into summer, but with the way I crochet, I should start it now and I'll have it ready for my winter!! thank you for posting this!!
~cm

Moois van mie said...

thanks !

- said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
"Never Knew" said...

Looks great! Thanks!
Caz :)

Denisa said...

super, super i návod je krásně nafocený ... Denisa

☼ Carolina ☼ said...

Nice Blog!
Thanks for tutorial
hugs from Chile
c@

Vicki said...

Hi Michelle
Thank you so much for the tutorial I sat up last night and made a scarf to pop into Mum's present. It was easy, quick and granny wonderful, haven't crocheted for years but i am loving it all over again. Thank you Vicki

needlekrafter said...

thanks, michelle! love it. :)

M@riana said...

very nice!!!
kisses
m@riana

Anonymous said...

This is the first scarf I've crocheted. I've made hats and purses using similar stitches so it went really fast. Well written pattern and photo tutorial. Thanks for sharing! Fun and fast patterns like these give me the confident to keep crocheting.
I used medium weight yarn because I can't buy chunky yarn in my town. I also used an H hook. Thanks from North Carolina, USA.
Here are photos of my attempt.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/NCcowgirl/chunky-granny-scarf

I'm Not Your Fucking Hero said...

Approximately how many yards of yarn did you use?

Jinny La Bar said...

Thanks for the project! :-) I whipped it up in no time & LOVE it!

Ruth said...

Love the scarf! I'm hooked on all types of Granny square, too! Today, in Texas, USA it will be 106 with a heat index over 108...needless to say I will not need this scarf for some time! Can't wait to make it anyway! Thanks again from Texas, USA!

The Green Glass Pumpkin said...

I really appreciate how you added U.S. terms in parentheses...thank you! Also, I love how you added photos to each step. You're a very thoughtful pattern writer.

I can't wait to get started. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

hi im in So. Calif. and dont need heavy and im itchy around wool,would u say this pattern will look good in 4ply soft poly yarn? what size hook,USA size please.
Arlie

Anonymous said...

Love it!!! Just made this in red. Went very fast, will be making more of these. Thank you for a great pattern & directions.

Sarah said...

THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS!!!!! I'm 12 yrs old, and it is very easy and quick! Love the flower too! Thank you for all the pics too! (I like pics very easy) thank you!

Tiffany said...

Your tutorials are so easy to follow! Thank you so much! I LOVE this scarf, but I want to make it longer, in order to do so, do I need to increase by multiples of 3? Or...? Thank you!

designgrrl said...

Thanks for such a beautiful pattern! It comes together so easily and looks amazing!

pldrake said...

Nice design, but I'd like to be able to print a version with just the written directions (to save paper and printing costs).

NicMom said...

Love your blog here in Pittsburgh PA USA...Love your work and color selections. I'll be back for more! Maria

Sonia said...

Beautiful Scarf.. love it. Greaat tutorial, thanks.
-Sony
sonia-studio60.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I had some chunky yarn given to me and I made it into the 5th row before I ran out of yarn. Your step by step instructions were great. I am a beginner and it came out just like yours. I am not sure I like the chunky yarn as the scarf seems very heavy. I am going to try it with some lighter yarn because I love the pattern and it works up so easy.

Thank you for the time and effort it took to make this tutorial. Can't wait to try it again.

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

I'm needing something fun to do in the hospital in a couple of weeks. Knee replacement. I'll make three, for my three granddaughters.

cindy

Unknown said...

I am going to teach a beginning crochet class and I wondered if I could use your pattern to teach the class. I tried to email you, but the link to email did not work for me.
my email is beaudi414@yahoo.com
I would of course give full credit to you for your pattern and direct the students to your blog.
Thanks for your consideration.
Dianne

Unknown said...

When or have you already posted the pattern for the flower on this scarf. I would love to make one. Thank you for sharing this pattern.