Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Projects and a question of starch...


This very cute coffee pot
was found at a resent thrifty trip...
I love the colour!!!

I also have a lot of projects going on at the moment...
I need to finish the flowers on my
extraordinary blanket...
make some more flowers
for my grandma's garden cushion
that we are making in my crochet class
finish my shell patterned blanket
and
I am half way through a new project...

Yes last night I started something new
not that I haven't got enough on already...
nooooo
So the next few days I will be slightly
obsessed with it and probably will get not much else finished...
But I do need some help with this project...

Do you know about starching???
If you do I would love to hear from you...
I need a stiffening agent that will be quite strong
and will last...
But everytime I try something
I still get a residue of the white powder on the yarn...
It is not noticable on white but on coloured yarn mine is really
noticeable...
any thoughts or helpful links???

I will do a bit of experimenting so please leave a comment and I will try it out...
So till next chat...
say safe 
and full of granny goodness my dears...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't they use to use a sugar/water bath and then let it dry?

cheers
Christine

Sulwyn said...

I recently did some lace bowls that were stiffened with a sugar solution. Use two cups of sugar to one cup of water, heat on the stove just until the sugar melts but don't let it boil. Turn off the heat, dump in your item(s) and use tongs to make sure it is thoroughly saturated. Let it sit a moment or two and then using the tongs again remove it and squeeze as much of the (very hot) solution as is practical. Using the tongs on a plastic bag covered surface, shape your item(s) and pin or nudge into place. You can work it with your hands as it cools. Be prepared for this to take up to a week to dry and don't try to use or move it until it has returned to the original color, which is a sign that all of the liquid has evaporated. I've never had a problem with critters and the bowls I used this on are hard as rocks now!

aseknc said...

Oh sweetpea, sorry I really don't know. I hope someone has a good tip for ya!

¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸..•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`-: † :- Anita
http://aseknc.blogspot.com/
aseknc(at)gmail(dot)com

Casey said...

I've used the same method as Sulwyn, people told me I would get ants but I have never seen an ant near my doily bowl

"Never Knew" said...

I was asking at a craft store just recently and I was advised NOT to use sugar-starch as it attracts cockies! The store's recommendation was diluted white/craft glue (aquadhere-stuff). It holds it well and dries clear. But have not yet tried it myself. Hope you can come up with a solution that suits.
Caz from Never Knew :)

Louise said...

Hi! I am in the uk and use a product known as stiffy!! I kid you not. Doubtful that you could get it but baicly it is watered down pv glue ( the white kind that kids nd woodworkers use) in a spray bottle. You can really soak your work in it and it dries clear. I got mine from a shop selling it for making roller blinds, it stiffens the fabric. Make your own by watering pva down to milk consistency. Spray or dunk the crochet then dry flat. HTH

Hazel said...

You can get spray starch. I just saw it on Attic 24s blog when she was spraying her star garland.

CurlyPops said...

Are you looking for something permanent or something that will wash out?

Anonymous said...

your blog looks lovely Michelle!

YarnRoundHook said...

Maybe spray starch, but I found it didn't work too well with acrylic.

I've used watered down PVA glue for starching too, but that was with thin cotton yarn. It's worth a try though as it does dry clear.

Kimbles said...

We used to use a sugar/water solution and let it dry - it has surprisingly good results.

Unknown said...

I'm not digging the sugar solution for the same reasons as above. Not wanting any bugs here. Like spray starch and the stiffy stuff from the craft store. I also like to take Frebreeze and then hang out on the line to air in the sun.

Can't wait to see your finished project.

Toodles,
The Garden Bell

OfficeTYPE said...

Ohhhh, I just love those birds you have on the wall!