Saturday, August 15, 2009

Here Chicken


We have quite a brood of speckled hens which are all called
"Sophia"
mainly cause they all look the same and I really can't tell them apart..
and we have a rooster called "Nick"...

Well Nick obviously did his part...
But we let nature down...
You see we have only one new chicken...
As it turns out we left two "old eggs" in the nest
so she would "sit" and after a short while she had quite a nest full
and was sitting quite well...
that was until one egg decided it would hatch...
In my excitement I hadn't realized that this was a chicken that had hatched
from one of the "old eggs"...hmmm...
and much to our sorrow she went straight of the nest and so
no more would hatch...
Will really remember to mark the eggs next time
and take them out...
or better still use a golf ball...I hear that works...
So we still have one new addition that we are very proud of
but the way it struts around I have a feeling I have a "Nick" in the making..

Chicken raising seems to be a lot more complicated than I first though...


1 comment:

M* (Melanie) said...

Oh that's so sweet! How gorgeous!