Saturday, March 29, 2008

inspiration


OUR GRANDMOTHER
Lots of friends ask
"how do you make all of these great things"
the first answers is always "My grandmother taught me"
When we were very young our grandmother taught us how to sew, knit and crochet.
A gift that has given us joy and even saved our sanity many times over.

When I was about 12 years old my grandmother sat me down at the treadle sewing machine
and we made my first rag doll off her pattern{the same i use today}
She told me how she made the same doll for my mother when she was young out of blue material and she was called "BLUE BELLE"
Mine was made out of yellow material and i called her "YELLOW BELLE"
You don't tend to be very original at that age...

Over a very long time{i shudder! 30 years} the pattern has evolved
Of course due to age and style and the many times it has been cut around
and re drawn when the paper wore thin.
The face was drawn on with "hobby tech" years ago but with the start of folk art classes
about 10 years ago and the help of jo sonya paints and mediums
it has made a huge improvement.
So as with most of our art we keep the amount we do to a minimum
mainly to keep us encouraged and motivated and make them a bit more special.
We like to make things because we want to not because we have to.

Our grandmother taught us so much more its hard to put it in one post
so i am sure there will be many more post on this.
People can inspire you everyday of the week
but when you put love and inspiration together it makes magic....



No comments: